West Presbyterian Church (New York City)

in New York, United States



Category: Attraction

5 views 0 shares 0 comments

Bookmarkset bookmark!
Created/changed by: System

Address details

West Presbyterian Church, New York, NY 10018, USA
Print route »

Coordinates

N40° 45' 14.868" W73° 58' 56.784"   (40.75413, -73.98244)
Start navigation »

Phone & WWW


Business hours

Info

West Presbyterian Church, in New York City, was a congregation and two houses of worship. The congregation was founded in 1829, and merged in 1911 with Park Presbyterian Church to form West–Park Presbyterian Church. The first house of worship, also known as the Carmine Street Presbyterian Church, in Greenwich Village, was used from 1832 to 1965, and the second, on West 42nd Street between Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue, from 1865 until 1911, when it was sold and demolished. Proceeds from the sale were used, in accordance with the merger agreement, to build and endow a church for an underserved neighborhood, Washington Heights: Fort Washington Presbyterian Church. In addition, the West Church congregation had earlier established two mission churches which eventually merged to become Good Shepherd – Faith Presbyterian Church. West–Park, Fort Washington, and Good Shepherd – Faith are all active today.
West Church's most prominent pastors were Thomas S. Hastings, 1856–1881, who later became President of Union Theological Seminary, and John R. Paxton, 1882–1893, whose popular sermons attracted, for a time, many wealthy and powerful businessmen as members.

Discussions

Random Images

Contact details

West Presbyterian Church (New York City)

Address: West Presbyterian Church, New York, NY 10018, USA
Phone: