King Street Gaol (1824)

in Toronto, Canada

Category: Attraction

9 views 0 shares 0 comments

Bookmarkset bookmark!
Created/changed by: System

Address details

1 Toronto St, Toronto, ON M5C 2V6, Canada
Print route »


N43° 38' 59.424" W79° 22' 32.844"   (43.64984, -79.37579)
Start navigation »

Phone & WWW

Business hours


The second King Street Gaol (also known as the Toronto Jail) was built in 1824 to replace the first King Street Gaol in York, Upper Canada (now Toronto). At that time, the town needed a larger, better constructed jail to replace the original, which was little more than a plain log building with a stockade.
The new two-storey brick building was built two blocks east on the north-east corner of King Street and Toronto Street with a wooden stockade enclosing its gallows.After the jail closed, the building was used as an insane asylum, then incorporated into the York Chambers Building. The facade of old jail could still be seen from the side and was eventually demolished in 1957. At one point the jail and old courthouse was part of a proposed Guild Hall complex, but the project was later abandoned. The current site is now Courthouse Park and old Court House (or Adelaide Street Courthouse) to the north still stands.


Random Images

Contact details

King Street Gaol (1824)

Address: 1 Toronto St, Toronto, ON M5C 2V6, Canada