Seventh Fort

in Kaunas, Lithuania



Category: Attraction

7 views 0 shares 0 comments

Bookmarkset bookmark!
Created/changed by: System

Address details

Archyvo g. 59, Kaunas 50157, Lithuania
Print route »

Coordinates

N54° 54' 57.6" E23° 55' 37.2"   (54.916, 23.927)
Start navigation »

Phone & WWW


Business hours

Info

The Seventh Fort or VII Fort is a defensive fortification built in Žaliakalnis district of Kaunas, Lithuania, during implementation of the first phase of the construction of the Kaunas Fortress. It is located near the Hospital of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences. This Fort became the last brick fortification of Kaunas Fortress. The Seventh Fort is close to the central defenses and it is located in the rear of Kaunas Fortress. The first owner of fort was the 11th company of Kaunas Fortress Artillery (Imperial Russian Army). In 1915, German Army occupied the Fort without resistance. The Seventh Fort is one of the best surviving examples of a two-rampart fort, showing the typical design of a 19th-century Russian brick fort. Many authentic elements survive, such as iron window frames, ammunition warehouse gate fragments. During the Fort's restoration, a number of authentic interior details (interior decoration, paving, fittings of ammunition storage doors and gate) were found.

Discussions

Random Images

Contact details

Seventh Fort

Address: Archyvo g. 59, Kaunas 50157, Lithuania
Phone: