Darius and Girėnas Stadium

in Kaunas, Lithuania

Category: Attraction

13 views 0 shares 0 comments

Bookmarkset bookmark!
Created/changed by: System

Address details

S. Dariaus ir S. Girėno Stadionas, Kaunas 44221, Lithuania
Print route »


N54° 53' 50" E23° 56' 13"   (54.897222222222, 23.936944444444)
Start navigation »

Phone & WWW

Business hours


S. Dariaus ir S. Girėno stadionas is a multi-use stadium in the Ąžuolynas park in Žaliakalnis district of Kaunas, Lithuania. The all-seater stadium holds 9,180. In 1998 the stadium was renovated according to UEFA regulations, and in 2005 it was modernised with the installation of the biggest stadium television screen in the Baltic states.
The first stadium in this place was designed and established by Steponas Darius and Kęstutis Bulota in 1923, and completed in 1925. 1935-1936 the stadium was renovated and named the State Stadium (Lithuanian: Valstybinis stadionas). Starting in 1969 the stadium underwent another reconstruction that lasted for 10 years until August 1979. Wooden tribunes were replaced with reinforced concrete structures and placed in a half circle.
After Lithuania regained independence, in 1993 the stadium was named after the Lithuanian pilots Steponas Darius and Stasys Girėnas, who perished in a crash near the end of an attempted non-stop flight from New York to Lithuania. The site is currently the home ground of the football club FBK Kaunas, FK Spyris Kaunas and FC Stumbras. It is a part of the S. Darius and S. Girėnas sport center, which also includes the nearby Kaunas Sports Hall, built in 1939.


Random Images

Contact details

Darius and Girėnas Stadium

Address: S. Dariaus ir S. Girėno Stadionas, Kaunas 44221, Lithuania