Santa Maria Odigitria al Tritone

in Roma, Italy



Category: Attraction

3 views 0 shares 0 comments

Bookmarkset bookmark!
Created/changed by: System

Address details

Via del Tritone, 78, 00187 Roma, Italy
Print route »

Coordinates

N41° 54' 11.52" E12° 29' 9.35"   (41.9032, 12.485930555556)
Start navigation »

Phone & WWW


Business hours

Info

Santa Maria Odigitria (Saint Mary Hodegetria), sometimes Santa Maria dei Siciliani, is a Roman Catholic church in Rome, located at civico 82 on via del Tritone in the Colonna district.
The Confraternity of the Sicilians was officially recognized by the papal bull "Pastoris aeterni" of Pope Clement VIII on 5 February 1594 and immediately began construction. The building, consecrated on 17 August 1596, was from the first the national church of Sicily, then ruled by the Kingdom of Aragon. Upon the integration of Sicily into Italy, it became regional rather than a national church. It is named after the icon of the Virgin Mary venerated in the church – it is of the Hodegetria type and was brought to Rome from Constantinople. The confraternity also had an oratory adjoining the church, which now displays a painting of Saint Rosalia by the Sicilian painter Gaetano Sottino.
During the French occupation of Rome from the end of the 18th century to the start of the 19th century, the church was deconsecrated. It was rebuilt by Francesco Manno between 1814 and 1817. In 1990 its four side chapels were used to display four altar frontals by Giuseppe Migneco (showing popes Leo II, Agaton and Methodius), Salvatore Fiume (Saint Lucy), Sebastiano Milluzzo (Saint Agatha), and Mario Bardi (Saint Rosalia).
Pope Paul VI made the church a cardinal deaconry on 12 February 1973 by the apostolic constitution "Romana templa".

Discussions

Random Images

Contact details

Santa Maria Odigitria al Tritone

Address: Via del Tritone, 78, 00187 Roma, Italy
Phone: