Welsford-Parker Monument

in Halifax, Canada

Category: Attraction

10 views 0 shares 0 comments

Bookmarkset bookmark!
Created/changed by: System

Address details

1460 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS B3J, Canada
Print route »


N44° 38' 36.672" W63° 34' 20.928"   (44.64352, -63.57248)
Start navigation »

Phone & WWW

Business hours


The Welsford-Parker Monument (also known as the Crimean War monument or Sevastopol Monument) is a triumphal arch that is located in the Old Burial Ground, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. This is the 2nd oldest war monument in Canada (1860) (Montcalm-Wolfe Monument in Québec City erected in 1828) and the only monument to the Crimean War in North America. The arch and lion were built in 1860 by stone sculptor George Lang to commemorate British victory in the Crimean war and the Nova Scotians who had fought in the war.
Britain and France invaded the Crimea and decided to destroy the Russian naval base at the capital Sevastopol. They landed at Eupatoria on 14 September 1854, intending to make a 35-mile triumphal march to Sevastopol the capital of the Crimea, with 50,000 men. To traverse the 35 miles, the British forces fought for a year against the Russians. Inscribed on the monument are names of the battles the British army fought to reach the capital: "Alma" (September 1854), "Balaklava" (October 1854), "Inkerman" (November 1854), "Tchernaya" (August 1855), "Redan" (September 1855), and, finally, "Sebastopol" (September 1855). (During the siege, the British navy made six bombardments of the capital: October 17, 1854; April 9, June 6, June 17, August 17, and September 5, 1855.) Sebastopol is one of the classic sieges of all time. The culminating struggle for the strategic Russian port in 1854-5 was the final bloody episode in the costly Crimean War.
During the Victorian Era, these battles were repeatedly memorialized. The Siege of Sevastopol was the subject of Crimean soldier Leo Tolstoy's Sebastopol Sketches and the subject of the first Russian feature film, Defence of Sevastopol. The Battle of Balaklava was made famous by Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade" and Robert Gibb's painting Thin Red Line. (Treating the wounded from these battles was celebrated English nurse Florence Nightingale.)
The Nova Scotia memorial is named after two Haligonians, Major Augustus F. Welsford of the 97th Regiment and Captain William B.C.A. Parker of the 77 Regiment, who both died in the Battle of the Great Redan in 1855 during the Siege of Sevastopol (1854–1855), in present-day Crimea which was annexed by Russia in 2014. The monument was unveiled on 17 July 1860.
During March and April 1855, Nova Scotian Joseph Howe worked tiredlessly to recruit troops for the war effort.


Random Images

Contact details

Welsford-Parker Monument

Address: 1460 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS B3J, Canada